Thursday 14 February 2013

Editorial Illustration - Mind + Keyboard = This

I produced some editorial illustration work for the fantastic Ash Billinghay for his blog Mind + Keyboard = This

The article in question is titled "Creative Careers: How The Hell Do You Find One?" and can be read here.

One of the main points of the article discusses the difficulty in finding jobs that are suited to the area in which you studied and the completely unrelated roles in which creative graduates are forced to try and fit themselves into. 

My illustration is formed around the metaphor of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. I originally started sketching a literal response of an actual square peg and a hammer, but decided to develop it further by using my geometric character style to turn the square peg into a character and adding a stylised wood effect using large tapered lines. 

While not as successful as I initially hoped, I feel that the concept is strong. I decided not to give myself more time as I wanted to work within the limited time constraints of traditional editorial illustration work. 





No comments :

Post a Comment